Ice Barrel - Cold Therapy Training Bath
Free Shipping. No Sales Tax.
Looking to take your fitness game up a notch with great recovery? Ice Barrel is here to help!
The Ice Barrel is the perfect way to ease into a cold therapy routine. This portable cold therapy tool is perfect for athletes of all levels. With its simple design and lightweight construction makes the Ice Barrel easy to use and just as effective as other, more expensive options.
Whether you’re looking for a new way to relax and focus or want to improve your performance, Ice Barrel has you covered.
The mental discipline and physiological changes you get from sitting in cold water can’t be beaten, and the vertical design of the Ice Barrel is much simpler, safer, and more enjoyable than lying down in a bath or metal trough.
Easy to use - Fill it with water and ice, take a plunge, and see what you can achieve!
The Ice Barrel is designed for most body types to sit in an upright position, which allows the body and mind to focus and relax.
Holds up to 105 gallons of water
- Easy-to-use Drainage System
- 42" high by 31" wide; opening 25" wide
- 55 lbs. empty; 750 lbs. when filled with 80 gallons of water
- Made in Ohio, USA with recycled materials
Included With Purchase:
- Ice Barrel + Lid
- Protective UV Cover
- Barrel Stand
- Step Stool
- Free Shipping
- Pain Management - Cold therapy reduces pain by desensitizing nerves and reducing swelling.
- Inflammation - Inflammation occurs at specific sites within the body, for example an injury, or can be systemic. Cold therapy reduces localized inflammation from exercise and injuries by reducing edema. Systemic inflammation is usually identified through blood samples and identification of specific hormone markers. Cold therapy reduces systemic inflammation through changes in hormones due to stimulation of the Vagus nerve complex.
- Depression and Anxiety - Cold therapy can help alleviate depression and anxiety. Research indicates that people with depressive symptoms typically have inflammatory markers and cold therapy significantly improves both the systemic inflammation and depression and anxiety symptoms. Cold therapy is a non-pharmaceutical supporting therapy.
- Mood and Brain Function - Cold therapy activates hormonal responses in healthy people as well those suffering from chronic diseases such as depression, fibromyalgia, and rheumatoid arthritis. This reduces whole-body inflammation and has antioxidant effects.
- Heart Rate Variability - Heart Rate Variability is an indicator of physical and psychological stress. Cold therapy reduces stress and induces relationation by reducing heart rate variability.
- Vasoconstriction - Cold therapy initiates vasoconstriction of blood vessels in the skin and extremities, which aids in reducing muscle pain, fatigue, and swelling. Cold therapy initiated vasoconstriction may be a preventative measure against dementia including Alzheimer’s Disease.
While cold therapy has been an accepted treatment for acute injuries and post-exercise recovery for over 30 years, new research is showing that cold therapy is safe and effective for chronic diseases and general well-being.
Cold therapy provides systemic anti-inflammatory relief, increases positive immune response, and parasympathetic nervous system stimulation. Cold therapy is being applied to provide non-pharmaceutical support for patients with depression and mood disorders, reduction of daily stress and general well-being, chronic disease support including rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia among others, and disease intervention.
Cold therapy has been shown to reduce depression, anxiety, and stress as well as improving mood and general brain function (Galliera et al., 2013; Hayashi et al., 1997; Jungmann et al., 2018; Kinoshita et al., 2006; Lange et al., 2008; Metzger et al., 2000; Misiak & Kiejna, 2012; Polizzi, 2019; Rymaszewska et al., 2020). The brain releases norepinephrine during cold stress, which is shown to reduce depression and anxiety. Heart rate and heart rate variability are linked to reductions in stress as well, with reductions in heart rate and heart rate variability occurring with cold therapy. Mood and brain function improve through stimulation of the parasympathetic nervous system.
Physiological effects are likely mediated by stimulation of the Vagus nerve and modulation of hormones (Jungmann et al., 2018; Lange et al., 2008; Metzger et al., 2000; Polizzi, 2019). This includes weight loss by stimulating growth of brown fat and lowering white fat. Brown fat, often referred to as “good” fat, increases energy burning and is responsible for body thermoregulation. In part, through stimulation of the Vagus nerve complex cold therapy reduces inflammatory responses throughout the body and thus stimulates the body to heal, as well as increasing positive immune response for fighting disease and infection. This beneficial response may be what reduces symptoms and inflammatory markers present in blood from autoimmune disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia.
What is the Ice Barrel made from?
The Ice Barrel is made from high-quality recycled materials composed primarily of LLDPE (low linear density polyethylene), a lightweight and durable non-toxic plastic. This is the same type of plastic used in food and medical-grade products. And polyethylene can be recycled whenever the valuable life of your Ice Barrel is finished— though it’ll be a long time before that becomes the case.
What differentiates the Ice Barrel from a stock tank, bathtub, or chest freezer?
Our team of industrial designers has spent years identifying and solving many challenges associated with cold therapy.
Ice Barrel is a cold therapy training tool that offers an easy way to bring ice baths to your wellness routine. With a lightweight design and functional features, the Ice Barrel is portable, durable, compact, and looks cool! We’ve designed our product to fit most body types, while also allowing you to sit in an upright position, which helps the body and mind to focus and relax. Our product is ideally designed for people under 6’6″ and 250lbs (105 gallons).
How do I get into the Ice Barrel?
After removing the lid, you’ll enter from the top and settle into a comfortable position. Depending on where you have your Ice Barrel, you can use a step stool or ladder, but use it at your own risk. We recommend always having another person present while you are in the Ice Barrel for your safety. You might experience numbness after an ice bath, which can make it hard to get out of the barrel by yourself.
How long should I soak in an ice bath?
Each ice bath session should last between 5-10 minutes. While you may think the timing is too short, you will be tempted to get out of the barrel quicker than the recommended duration, especially if you’re new to ice baths.
If you spend 15 minutes or more in a cold bath of 10-15 degrees C, you face the risk of getting hypothermia. Hypothermia is a medical emergency that occurs when your body temperature drops below a safe level (37 degrees C/95 degrees F). Dangerously low body temperature can cause heart failure and even death.
What is cold therapy?
Cold therapy is short term cold stress that activates the body’s healing mechanisms. There are several different methods and Ice Barrel uses cold water immersion. This involves immersing the body at least to the abdomen but preferably including the neck into approximately 15 degrees Celsius (about 60 degrees Fahrenheit), generally for 5-10 minutes and no more than 15 minutes. This can be done daily as part of the lifestyle for wellbeing or for reduction of adverse impacts from physical exertion. The other primary method of cold therapy requires a clinical setting and a cold air chamber typically set at -110 degrees Celsius.
How is an ice bath better than a cold shower?
With ice baths, you feel the effect immediately around your entire body, and you are sure that every part of your body is submerged in the freezing water. Activation of the body’s natural healing mechanism for general wellbeing works best when there is consistent cold temperature applied to the neck and abdominal region. Consistent application of the cold as well as the natural compression provided by water is only provided by submersion.
With an ice bath, you’ll be able to enjoy a deep, penetrating cold through your entire body and muscles. You won’t get this level of penetration from taking a cold shower.
Are ice baths healthy?
Yes, ice baths are healthy if you follow the correct procedures. Cold therapy has proven to be a safe, non-pharmaceutical way to relieve pain, reset the body for overall health, and allow athletes to return to their workouts faster. With our guidelines, you stand to benefit greatly from cold water immersion therapy with the Ice Barrel.
To learn more about the science of cold therapy, visit our website at www.icebarrel.com/science, so you know the right way to take a cold plunge and get the desired results.
How do I get the water cold and keep it cold?
Maintaining the water temperature greatly depends on your regional climate. For example, customers in Texas, Arizona, and Florida typically need more ice in the summer, spring, and fall months. However, customers in Canada and northern states will likely require less ice in the summer months due to colder temperatures and groundwater.
During the winter, many customers don’t need to add ice.
Our typical customer reports that during the summer, they need 40-100lbs of ice to achieve the desired temperature range of 40-55 degrees F. The Ice Barrel’s lid and cover help maintain the temperature for 1-3 days after adding ice. Keeping your Ice Barrel out of the sun will help with maintaining the water temperature.
What is the optimum temperature for an ice bath?
Temperature and duration determine how effective an ice bath will feel. The higher the bath temperature, the longer you’ll need to soak. The optimum temperature and time is 10-15 degrees C (50 – 59 degrees F) for 5-10 minutes.
It is also normal to find professional training facilities that use temperatures between 6-10 degrees C (42-50 degrees F) with recommended therapy treatments of 3 to 6 minutes.
Should I use ice baths after every training session?
For decades, cold therapy has been used to treat acute injuries and post-exercise recovery. Interestingly, new research has confirmed that cold therapy is a safe and effective remedy for chronic diseases and can promote overall well-being.
According to studies, stress in the form of physical exertion (exercise), as well as life stress, triggers similar hormonal responses that affect heart rate and heart rate variability. Cold water therapy stimulates the Vagus nerve, which can reduce heart rate while improving variability. The Vagus nerve is about 75% of the parasympathetic nervous system, which is responsible for regulating abdominal organs and mood. The Vagus nerve runs from the brain, through the neck, to the abdominal organs. Vagus nerve activation reduces stress and induces relaxation.
If you’re focused on recovering and minimizing the fatigue you feel after a training session, an ice bath is a great addition to your post-workout routine. In addition to reducing fatigue and exercise injury, an ice bath has also been shown to prepare your body and mind for the next workout.
How do I clean and maintain the Ice Barrel?
Ice Barrel requires very little maintenance. We recommend changing the water every four (4) weeks or as preferred. Water cleanliness can be extended by using water stabilizers or treatments such as hydrogen peroxide, chlorine, or UV purifier. You can clean your Ice Barrel using your preferred soap or detergent.
Ice Barrel Shipping Policy:
- Your Ice Barrel ships through UPS or FedEx via the LTL freight division. Shipments are typically processed and shipped 5-10 days from the order date. All add-on accessories are shipped with the barrel, unless purchased separately. If purchased separately they will ship via FedEx, UPS, or USPS.
- Residential (house): Package will be dropped on the property.
- Residential Apartments: Package will be left in the shipping room or with the front desk. Finding apartments can sometimes be challenging for delivery drivers. Please include as much detail as possible in the “order notes” section during checkout.
- Private Residences: Package will be left on the property. If access is denied, the package will be left at the gate or with security.
- Commercial: Package will be dropped on the property.
Ice Barrel Return Policy:
If you’re not 100% satisfied with your purchase, we got you covered!
- If your product arrives damaged, we will ship you a new product at no cost.
- You can return the product for a refund less restocking fees within 30 days of delivery. Return and restocking fees of 30% apply. The restocking fee covers return shipping, cleaning, and repackaging of the product. The product needs to be in its original condition and shipped with original packaging to be accepted. If the product is not in its original condition and packaging it will NOT be accepted.
- Please contact us for a return shipping label within 30 days of delivery.
- Shipment will be scheduled for pickup within 2-5 days of label being sent. A party must be present for pickup.
- Once the product is received it will be inspected, if the return is accepted a refund will be issued within 1-2 weeks. The original payment method will be refunded less the 30% restocking fee